Friday, September 21, 2007

Pictures from the last week

Hi everyone. I've got a little time here on the computer so I thought I'd move all my pics onto my ipod to clear new space on the camera card, and while I'm at it, I'll post up some of the highlights for you all to check out.

First up, Dubrovnik. I took over a hundred pictures just on the walking tour of the walls. I don't have time to ~really~ sort out the best, so here are a few highlights.

First, the walls and views from the walls:
More walls:
Now, the blasted out ruins of an old Communist tourist attraction, including cable car station on the hill above Dubrovnik:Inside the 'tourist attraction' (whatever it was):
This is also from inside the 'tourist attraction'. This is probably my favourite picture from the trip so far. What do you think? Click it for a larger version.

The view of Dubrovnik from the 'tourist attraction'. (you can see why they built the cable car!)

And finally (for this city anyway), the trail to the Temple of Doom! Tim and I took an alternate route down the mountain and got a little lost. This was an old trail, formerly well built and maintained, that had been left to decompose and become overgrown with bushes and shrubs. These, in turn, were burned out by a wildfire a month ago, so it had this bizarre, ruined, desolate 'path to hell' kind of feel to it.

Next up: Kotor
This is a small church in the central square of old town Kotor, Montenegro. Above it you can see the old fort that climbed to in later pics.

Here's the top, where you can get a sense of the how far I had to climb.

And here's the spectacular view down on the old town and harbour.
To wrap up Kotor, here's a night pic of a dark alleyway that's much scarier-looking here than it was in real life.
Budva: the beach!
Here's where I really started to get lazy. Perhaps you can see why!
The first two are the old town and the beach beside it.


Here we have Hanna and I enjoying Budva's beach.

And finally, this is the only semi-decent pic I got of the canyon we rafted in. The bus had brutally bad windows and the driver never stopped to let us take pics. Disappointing.

Okay, that's a wrap for today. I've been on the computer a long time putting this together and I should move on with my day.

cya!
bms

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike;
Great pictures, can't wait to see them all. You look tanned and relaxed---good on ya.
Love, Mom

Tammie Jeppesen said...

Awesome pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Mike!

Was so glad to get your blog addy from gfox the other night so I could see how you're doing.

So far a fantastic trip...although I hear from gfox there's a trouble a brewin' in the coming days. I need to keep reading..ooh the anticipation...the excitment! ;)

Anyhow, its awesome to hear you're having a great time. I'm lovin' the pictures too - I'm viewing them with Google Earth on the go. I've even matched up the EXACT spot you took the old town/harbour pic from in Kotor! haha. Man oh man I've livin' vicariously through you. Now I'm gettin' the itch to travel again...you bugger! :p

Well, I'm off to catch up with the rest of your posts/pictures. Have a good one buddy!

Todd G