Saturday, September 22, 2007

where the hell am I?

OK, so it's Novi Pazar, but it might as well be the moon. Such a major difference between touristy Budva and gritty, real world Novi Pazar. Almost nobody speaks English here, the guy at the info booth included. However, he did walk me to a bank machine so I could get some money, and then walked me to a hotel. Unfortunately he didn't approve of my hotel suggestion and took me to another place that's way more expensive. Honestly I should've just said no, but I've been on a bus for 8 hours and haven't really eaten in that time. I just needed to put my gear down and settle.

I'm just going to stay here for one night and then move on to Prishtina in Kosovo. The Lonely Planet book lists a guest house run by a local professor that might be a place where I could meet a few fellow travellers.

Just to make my tired, hungry, culture-shocked visit a little more distressing, I just realized that I left my phrase book on the bus. I'm now totally illiterate just as I'm about to head into a new language zone (Albanian in Kosovo, and then Bulgarian afterwards). Dammit!

OK, so today's not been a good day. I guess I had to expect something like that sooner or later.

well, I'm out to find some food. I have no map of this town and no way to orient myself. Should be interesting.

UPDATE: I found a cheap place to get a hamburger and pop, and did manage to make it home again. I'm going to get up early, have my free breakfast, and then hop on the bus to Pristina in Kosovo. I'll be happy to get away from this town.

bms

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike;
Sorry about the phrase book, that's a bummer. Might you find another one in a bigger city?
Things have gone so well so far, hang in there kiddo, you know it will get better again. Sounds like the guest house in Prishtina could be really great.
Thank you for keeping us so well up dated, you know how much it means to me to hear from you regularly.
Love, Mom

Tammie Jeppesen said...

Hang in there! Hopefully your next desination will be the best yet! :)