Saturday, September 15, 2007

post Dubrovnik, now in Kotor

Everything was so expensive in Dubrovnik that I elected to skip my post from there. We were in a private room with a local family instead of a hostel, so there was no in-house computer and the net shop was 4 euro/hr. Ridiculous!

Although prices were WAY higher in Dubrovnik than elsewhere, its easy to see why. The city is an absolute gem. I was looking forward to it, as I had a basic understanding of the old town and its massive, perfectly preserved outer wall, but wow. WOW. It was absolutely stunning. It took us over 2 hours to walk the perimeter, and I took over a hundred pictures in that time. This was pure, unadulterated medieval fairytale castle-style wall building, soaring above red-tile roofed houses on crooked, narrow little alleys. Fantastic!!!!

Right now I'm in Kotor, Montenegro, where prices are a little more reasonable (ie half). I have to get out of here quick though, as the sun is going down and I need to try to find a place to stay tonight. This is the first time I've arrived in a town with no pre-booked accomodation, but I've got a recommendation from a guy I met in Sarajevo. It's a proper hotel, with double bed, AC, tv, private bath for 20 euro/night. That's a little more than a normal hostel but not a lot more than what I'm used to. I expect that it might lead to a couple days spent by myself, but frankly I kind of need that.

The weather is now exceptional. It's clear blue skies and 27 degrees during the day since I arrived on the coast. I went for a swim today, and although the water is cool its certainly not cold, and it feels great to freshen up and then to dry out in the sun. Ahhhhh, summer is finally here!

My big decision will now be whether or not to go inland to Durmitor National Park and try to get in a day of whitewater rafting. It's quite a long way to go and may be fairly costly. It's really tempting, though, so I'm going to sit down and count out my remaining days and work out a rough schedule. Up to now I've been bumming along as I feel the need and haven't really worried much about scheduling.

ok, off to find a place to sleep!
bms

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Son;
I hope you had a good sleep in a nice hotel as you planned. Sounds like Dubrovik was extraordinary, just the kind of place you would like. Too bad it was so expensive but I'm glad you got to see some of it.
Your pictures will be amazing, can't wait to see them all when you get home. I miss you!!!!
Take care, love, Mom