Sunday, September 30, 2007

Plovdiv: Day 2 1/2

I suppose this is technically my third day in Plovdiv, given that I've paid for two beds so far. I've only slept in one of them, however, as last night I got to drinking with the two other guests here and the girl that runs the place. We were still going by 6am, and since I had to be on the internet at 8am so that I could kick my buddies' asses in our annual hockey draft, I decided to just stay up and push right through.

My host, Nailie (sp?), offered to let me nap for an hour while she made breakfast and coffee, so I did fall asleep briefly from 6:30 to 7:30, but I never took my pants or shirt off, so it counts as a nap rather than a sleep.

Today was a bit of a blur of more naps, a HUGE tasty lunch, the draft itself and a little more hazy wandering. It's about 6:30 now and I expect we'll be organizing a dinner outing pretty soon. I'm writing this posting up as I transfer another batch of photos from my camera onto the iPod. Not sure how many pics I've got so far, but it's a LOT. I mean, a ~L~O~T~. I'm going to have 3 days of editing to do when I get home!

So what else has gone on here? Well, after the evening that I described in the last posting, I spent an entire day going for a long walk through town. The highlight was a crazy huge concrete communist monument that was just way too cool/weird. Although the gates were locked, I was able to climb up one angled face and then down another into the middle of this structure. From there I snapped some way cool pictures of the full-on soviet-style statues that lined the interior of this place. I'm not going to do a full picture post here, but check this place out:



After that monument/hall, I kept wandering through a huge urban park, coming out (finally) at the canal that I had read about. It's a 2.5km long stretch of river that basically goes nowhere. God only knows what they were intending to use it for, but it's been turned into a rowing course, with a big stadium set up at one end to witness the finishes. Of course it's all fairly decrepit, but still cool. Evidently this canal was the last major communist make-work project in Bulgaria, so that was kind of cool to see. It really was quite immense, and must've been a huge undertaking.

Otherwise I've been chilling with Jann and Stephen, a french guy and american expat (now living in Buenos Aries). They're two real characters with a million and one stories to tell, so it's been pretty much nonstop since I sat down last night to hang out.

OK, go Bloody Knuckles! -my hockey pool team
and go Canucks! -my NHL team

Looking forward to coming home to watch some hockey. I got both Sedins in my pool this year, so here's hoping they take another step up. Wouldn't it be sweet if they both cracked 100 points! (that's sure to get a few comments from my buddies who read this!)

cheers,
bms

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mikey. sorry for the lack of communication lately, but laura and i have both been reading your blog on a daily basis. so glad you're having all the fun you are and experiencing everything as well. I know this'll be something you remember forever. I've been working practically 55 hour weeks lately, and just been ready to pull my hair out. Hoping work will calm down soon. Hope all is well. All here is! ciao!

Jeff

bms said...

hey Jeff, glad to hear from you! Was wondering if you fell off the planet or something. Guess not!

jeremy said...

Who are the canucks and who are these Sedin twins you refer to? All I know now is Keenan, Iginla, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff... Hope all is well (sure looks like it is!) and chat with ya soon. Jer.